“A great many people think they are thinking
when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.”
— William James —
If you take only one course in your lifetime, make it Critical Thinking Basics at The Thinkery. You will develop the fundamental skills of statement classification, research, analysis, and argument. You’ll find that these skills are tools for better communication, healthier relationships, and smoother navigation in all areas of life.
What one participant has to say …
“I am personally VERY motivated to drop my pursuits early on Tuesdays, get cleaned up, and drive to class because each week I have practical, usable takeaways and challenging thoughts that I mentally chew on all week. And those takeaways further my ability to share with others more effectively, including spiritually. … If I fully understand the difference between belief, opinion, and provable facts, etc., I am going to inevitably communicate more effectively — and garner much more respect — when I communicate with others. This class is highly valuable. A winner! I will not forget this class!”
[ G. B. ]
- Handle Statements • Systematically and automatically categorize statements, distinguishing among facts, falsehoods, theses, beliefs, and opinions.
- Find it Out (Research) • Conduct effective research in order to gain knowledge about a topic, verify a matter of fact, or provide evidence for a thesis.
- Figure it Out (Analysis) • Conduct effective analysis in order to gain understanding, derive meaning, and form conclusions about a complex matter.
- Reason it Out (Argument) • Argue, and ultimately persuade, with reason and passion and without prejudice or undue emotion.
- Examine Everything • Bring together the skills of research, analysis, and debate in order to properly examine and respond to information and arguments.
How it works
Critical Thinking Basics is available online through The Thinkery Network. You must be a member of the network to participate. It’s free to join the network, and there are loads of other good reasons to be a member!
You will take the course on a one-on-one basis with Elizabeth. Start when you want. Go at your own pace. Elizabeth takes a weekly break from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday, and course members are encouraged to participate in that break.
Get started now
Critical Thinking Basics (Online)