“A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.”
[ William James ]
If you take only one course in your life, make it this one. You will acquire the fundamental skills of statement classification, research, analysis, and argument, as well as tools for better communication and relationships.
- Statements • Systematically and automatically categorize statements, distinguishing among facts, falsehoods, theses, beliefs, and opinions.
- Find it Out • Conduct effective research in order to gain knowledge about a topic, verify a matter of fact, or provide evidence for a thesis.
- Figure it Out • Conduct effective analysis in order to gain understanding, derive meaning, and form conclusions about a complex matter.
- Reasoned Arguments • Argue, and ultimately persuade, with reason and passion and without prejudice or undue emotion.
- Examine Everything • Bring together the skills of research, analysis, and debate in order to properly examine and respond to information and arguments.
“I am personally VERY motivated to drop my pursuits early on Tuesdays, get cleaned up, and drive to class because each week I have practical, usable takeaways and challenging thoughts that I mentally chew on all week. And those takeaways further my ability to share with others more effectively, including spiritually. The content of the class is great preparation for anyone who wants to be able to share their story of faith with others. If I fully understand the difference between belief, opinion, and provable facts, etc., I am going to inevitably communicate more effectively — and garner much more respect — when I communicate with others. This class is highly valuable. A winner! I will not forget this class!”
[ G. B. ]